Join the ILA
Membership of the ILA is open to anyone interested in international law. The majority of Members join through the various regional branches. If no branch exists in the relevant region, individuals are welcome to apply for membership of Headquarters Branch.
Most ILA Branches hold their own events locally and several have their own committees which study topics in parallel with the ILA International Committees.
Branches may nominate individual members to sit on the ILA International Committees. Appointments are made by the Executive Council on the advice of the Committee Chairs and the Director of Studies.
Benefits of ILA membership
In addition to the benefits offered by your local branch, members will:
- Be part of an Association established since 1873 which has as its objectives the study, clarification and development of both public and private international law.
- Have the opportunity to become involved in the various International Committees and Study Groups through which these aims are pursued (members must be nominated by their branch and have sufficient and relevant expertise in the subject area, decisions on membership admission is up to the individual Committee Chairs).
- Receive discounted registration rates at the ILA Biennial and Regional Conferences and where relevant events held by the member’s branch.
- Be sent updates on news and events that are relevant to the ILA in general or to the areas of expertise they have listed.
- Be part of a worldwide network of people involved in all aspects of International Law such as:
- Judiciary and Senior Government lawyers
- Professors at leading Universities or Law Schools
- Practitioners of International Law (normally senior advocates)
- As well as less senior academics and practitioners and in certain branches the admission of students on a yearly basis.
- Have online access to:
- ILA Biennial Conference Reports (currently 2012 onwards)
- Members directory
- Expertise listings
- Member only discounts on publications.
- Be entitled to a complimentary copy of the ILA Biennial Conference report when published on request (postage and packing charged)
Complete the form below which will be sent to the Branch you have selected.
If no branch exists where you are based you may join the Headquarters Branch. Please select Headquarters on the form below and attach the relevant documentation required. Please attach, fax or post to us an up to date CV and two letters of support on official company letterhead from either existing members of ILA or other individuals in legal practice or academia who know you well. ILA HQ membership must be approved by the Executive Council which meets twice a year, usually in May and November.
For applications to Headquarters you can alternatively download the Printable Headquarters Application Form (29KB), and send it by email. Please send your supporting documentation by separate email, fax or post.